Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Results from the Seafair half marathon

Just thought I'd fill everyone in on my first half marathon that I ran last Sunday. I completed the run (13.1 miles) in 2:20:52. This was good for 83rd out of 88 runners in my age group. The way I see it, I have plenty of room for improvement. I ran all but about 2 minutes of that time. I think this was the most physically challenging thing I've done in my life.

Sunday night was spent staggering around the house trying not to aggravate the areas that suffered from chafing. The dumb part was that I put Body Glide on my feet to help prevent blisters, but I thought chafing like that was reserved for the marathoners! Things kept getting worse until by bedtime it was pretty painful getting up the stairs. I never knew my knees could make so much noise...

The really humbling part is that when I was finishing nearly collapsing after 13.1 miles, the full marathoners were hitting the halfway point. I have a whole new level of respect for these people (and I always had plenty of respect for them).

One last tidbit: my heart rate monitor estimated that I burned 2200 calories during my run. That's a full days worth of eating. Ouch!!!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?